Tuesday, December 25, 2012

On Cloud Atlas

I'm not sure how to best convey just how remarkable Cloud Atlas is. It, like The Fountain before it, redefines just how good, how pure the movie experience can be. There simply isn't a single moment of this movie that was not utterly captivating, not one flaw in its presentation, direction, acting, or script. Not a single note rang false.

It is a profoundly sad movie, presenting a litany of the worst crimes of humanity; from sexism and racism and fanaticism to theft and betrayal to slavery, murder, cannibalism, and genocide... and yet it is a hopeful and profoundly glorious film as well, for it shows humanity at it's best, when we are humble, when we love each other, when we do what is right even though it cost us everything. It's message is simple... tyranny must not stand and freedom will prevail, for nothing is more important.

If I have any complaints about the movie, they are these: Poor Hugo Weaving, for in all the time periods of this movie, he plays not a single noble soul. The other complain is perhaps a silly one... I'm not sure I will ever be able to fully grasp every layer of this movie, even were I to watch it a hundred times. I suspect I'd keep finding new depths and new meanings.

I can honestly say that it is the best movie I've seen this year... although I haven't seen Les Mis or Django Unchained yet.


Still, I'm appalled that the Golden Globes didn't nominate this movie for Best Ensemble, Best Script, Best Director, Best Film, and Best Actress for Halle Berry.  Best Actor nods for Jim Broadbent and Tom Hanks would not have been out of line either, and Hugo Weaving certainly deserved one for Best Supporting Actor.

No comments:

Post a Comment